MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:peter.brawley Date:August 14 2002 7:31pm
Subject:Re: Persisten Connections
View as plain text
Thomas,

1. Yes different servers for webserver and database
is the key. They have competing priorities.

2. The 100kb estimate is db-dependent, no?

P.

----------------

> And I disagree with this view.
>
> If you've got a server with 512 MB RAM and running the webserver and the
> db-server on the same machine, 100 idling mysql-processes are a HUGE overhead.
> At most if not every http-request requires a mysql-connection.
>
> I did many benchmarks and I got a huge decrease of the server-load as I disallowed
> persistent connections through the php.ini.
>
> I am serving around 180K pageviews/day with this config and on the described server.
>
> AFAIK it is MUCH more than 100K per mysql-process and a large process table is also
> of no gain.
>
> I may have to agree to your view but only if you have different servers for
> webserver
> and database, but I never tested such a config.
>
> Thomas
>
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:14:33 -0400 Tod Harter
> <tharter@stripped> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 14 August 2002 09:54 am, Thomas Seifert wrote:
> >
> > I disagree entirely....
> >
> > Persistent connections have little or nothing to do with increasing load!
> >
> > Given that you mention you are using PHP I'll assume you have mod_php running
> > in Apache. Each Apache child process in this configuration will maintain ONE
> > open database handle, so 100k pageviews per day I would expect you might max
> > at like 30k in one hour, or around 10/second, so you might top out at roughly
> > 100 Apache child processes at any one time, thus 100 database connections.
> >
> > Each DB connection is not a huge overhead, but creating and destroying 10
> > database handles PER SECOND is a large overhead!!! Remember, every time mysql
> > creates a connection it has to do internal queries on the grant tables. I
> > don't know exactly what the overhead of that is going to be, but ANYTHING
> > that creates 10 queries per second is putting some strain on your database
> > server!
> >
> > One of the main goals of using Apache modules for scripting was to allow
> > persistent database connections. There is really NO reason to give up that
> > advantage. Remember, MySQL is multi-threaded, with one thread per connection,
> > so the resources for a database connection are on the order of under 100k of
> > memory per connection.
> >
> > > it will reduce the load for sure!
> > > MySQL is very fast in opening and closing connections at least if the
> > > database-server and webserver are on the same machine.
> > > I don't know how it will perform on different machines.
> > >

> > > Thomas

> and

> Trouble
> > > unsubscribing? Try: http://lists.mysql.com/php/unsubscribe.php

Persisten ConnectionsJohn Wards14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsThomas Seifert14 Aug
    • Re: Persisten ConnectionsTod Harter14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionspeter.brawley14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsStreetWarz & SpeedWarz14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier15 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsGelu Gogancea15 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionsmos16 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionsmos17 Aug
Re: Persisten ConnectionsPaul DuBois14 Aug
Re: Persisten ConnectionsThomas Seifert14 Aug
RE: Persisten ConnectionsSteve Orr16 Aug
RE: Persisten ConnectionsSteve Orr16 Aug