List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Matthews Date:May 15 2002 11:45pm
Subject:Re: Column Header/ Column Description
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:09 PM

> Metadata in the database is NOT a bad idea! It's a basic part of the
> relational model, Codd's 4th rule. (E. F. Codd is the originator of the
> relational model.) While no one has implemented all 12 of Codd's rules,
this
> is pretty basic/easy.
>
> Here's the 4th rule: "The database description is represented at the
logical
> level in the same way as ordinary data, so authorized users can apply the
> same relational language to its interrogation as they apply to regular
> data."
>
> I'm not a relational purist but metadata documentation about the database
> should be maintained in the database and there's no reason for it to be
> viewed as unnecessary overhead that would somehow slow down non-metadata
> queries.

In my opinion, I believe what Codd is describing here is the ability to get
to the DDL via the relational model, which MySQL does support. His notion of
metadata is table names, column names, column types, nullability, etc., not
comments about the structure of the table. I don't consider documentation
metadata, necessarily.

    -Mark

Thread
Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews15 May
    • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionKeith C. Ivey15 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May
      • Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
        • RE: Alter tableRoger Baklund16 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMikeParton16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
  • RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionGurhan Ozen15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionSteve Orr16 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May