List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Date:May 15 2002 11:39pm
Subject:Re: Alter table
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Pflugmann" <benjamin-mysql@stripped>
To: "Mark" <admin@stripped>
Cc: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 1:24 AM

> Hi.
>
> Please start a new thread next time, instead of replying to a
> completely unrelated topic. Thank you.
>
> It sounds as if you want
>
> ALTER TABLE your_table ADD INDEX( message_id )
>
> It is probably enough to only index some part of that field and
> save a lot of space:
>
> ALTER TABLE your_table ADD INDEX( message_id(15) )
>
> For more information about this, have a look in the manual about
> ALTER TABLE and CREATE TABLE.

Well, the FAQ is where I went first, of course. And then I came up with
this,

"ALTER ignore table $table MODIFY message_id varchar(255) \
not null secondary key"

But MySQL said I had an error in my syntax. :(

If I use the ADD INDEX() syntax, will that cause the message_id field to be
indexed, also for new message-ids?

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I know, I should have considered this when creating the table,
that I might also want an index on message-id; but I can no longer drop the
current table.

- Mark

Thread
Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews15 May
    • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionKeith C. Ivey15 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May
      • Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
        • RE: Alter tableRoger Baklund16 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMikeParton16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
  • RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionGurhan Ozen15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionSteve Orr16 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May