List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Roger Baklund Date:May 15 2002 11:29pm
Subject:RE: Alter table
View as plain text
* Mark
> Can some please help me?
>
> I created a MySQL table with newsgroup articles in them, and
> indexed them on
> article_num,
>
> article_num int unsigned not null primary key
>
> But now, as I found out that searching on message_id, using a WHERE clause
> tends to get very slow. So, I was wondering whether I can change the table
> to have message_id be the secondary key. Now it is,
>
> message_id varchar(255)
>
> But I would like it to become,
>
> message_id varchar(255) not null secondary key
>
> Can I alter the table to this effect, or am I too late? :(

No, it is not too late. :)

There is no "secondary key", but an index will do what you want.

--
Roger

Thread
Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews15 May
    • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionKeith C. Ivey15 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May
      • Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
        • RE: Alter tableRoger Baklund16 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMikeParton16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
  • RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionGurhan Ozen15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionSteve Orr16 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May