List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Date:May 15 2002 10:47pm
Subject:Alter table
View as plain text
Can some please help me?

I created a MySQL table with newsgroup articles in them, and indexed them on
article_num,

article_num int unsigned not null primary key

But now, as I found out that searching on message_id, using a WHERE clause
tends to get very slow. So, I was wondering whether I can change the table
to have message_id be the secondary key. Now it is,

message_id varchar(255)

But I would like it to become,

message_id varchar(255) not null secondary key

Can I alter the table to this effect, or am I too late? :(

Thanks,

- Mark

Thread
Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews15 May
    • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionKeith C. Ivey15 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May
      • Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
        • RE: Alter tableRoger Baklund16 May
      • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMikeParton16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
        • Re: Alter tableBenjamin Pflugmann16 May
      • Re: Alter tableMark16 May
  • RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionGurhan Ozen15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionPaul DuBois15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column Descriptionmike markovich15 May
RE: Column Header/ Column DescriptionSteve Orr16 May
  • Re: Column Header/ Column DescriptionMark Matthews16 May