List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BD Date:April 5 2002 11:01pm
Subject:Difference between Unique Index and Primary Key?
View as plain text
Here are a few easy philosophical questions for a change:

1) For performance or storage benefits, is there a difference between a
Unique Index and Primary Key?

2) Is there a reason why I should use Primary Key instead of a Unique Index?

3) Why isn't there a syntax for "create primary index index_name on
table_name (fieldlist)" ? I know a primary key can be added with "Alter
table", but if I'm defining indexes for a table, it would look a lot better
in the script if I was using the same syntax.

TIA

Brent

sql, query