List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Herald van der Breggen Date:March 23 2001 8:21am
Subject:Re: dynasets
View as plain text
Wondering whether it would be relatively easy to add dynaset capbility
the the MyODBC driver I looked in de ODBC API specification and used

wget -r http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odp275gy.htm

to get all the ODBC API documents and searched on "dynamic". I found a
lot documentation about dynamic cursors (I guess this has a strong
relationship with dynasets). This is also a phrase a found:

"The four types of scrollable cursors are static, dynamic,
keyset-driven, and mixed. Static cursors detect few or no changes but
are relatively cheap to implement. Dynamic cursors detect all changes
but are expensive to implement. Keyset-driven and mixed cursors lie in
between, detecting most changes but at less expense than dynamic cursors."

So, it looks like is a lot of work to add support for dynamic cursors.
But... could it be simulated by using the "LIMIT" keyword so that a
cursor is in fact a constantly requery mechanism ? Maybe that is easier
te make....

For more relevant information about ODBC API, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch6rw3.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch50th.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch58qb.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch5awj.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch5fu7.htm (SQL_Get_info)

Is someone already developing the dynamic cursor behaviour in MyODBC ?

Herald