List:MaxDB« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tilo Heinrich Date:August 9 2005 4:33pm
Subject:RE: How to implement compression for the backup via networker
View as plain text
Hello Tobias,

There are two variations:

1.) Relying on regular checking of backups:

You would need to create two scripts as substitutes for save and restore. The save/restore
scripts would have to start a compression tool like gzip/gunzip such that it reads/writes
from/to a pipe and these scripts would have to start the original save/restore programs
with the parameters they were called them self.

You would change the NSR_HOME setting in your MaxDB configuration to point to the scripts,
instead of the original save and restore. You would have to create a link called mminfo in
that directory to point to the original mminfo.

You would have to set NSR_USEOUTPUT to NONE and would thereby losing any check for
NetWorkers error messages especially during backup. You  should therefore use the
compressed backups only for data backups and not for log backups and you should check all
your data backups using DBMGUI or recover_check.

2.) Do not use backup media of type NSR

You could backup into normal pipe media (not of type NSR) and write scripts, that do the
complete compression and backup/restore from/into the pipe them self. But there is no
advantage to variant No 1.

In both cases you should test your backup/restore procedure using a test system. And if
you encounter any problems or if it worked straight away ... keep us informed.

Best regards,
Tilo Heinrich
SAP Labs