MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charlie Root Date:June 11 2001 9:55am
Subject:Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancement
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> Antony> Allows grammar such as
>
> Antony> SELECT tote_seq_no INTO @seq
> Antony>   FROM toteq WHERE tote_no=@tote AND zone=@zone AND status="O"
> Antony>   ORDER BY tote_seq_no
> Antony>   LIMIT 1;
>
> Thanks for the patch, but I wouldn't like to accept this in this form.
>
> The right way to do this would be to do:
>
> SET @SEQ= SELECT tote_seq_no INTO @seq FROM toteq WHERE tote_no=@tote AND zone=@zone
> AND status="O" ORDER BY tote_seq_no LIMIT 1;
>
> This is more natural, especially in 4.1 when we have sub selects.
>
> Do you want to change this or should I do it?
>
> Regards,
> Monty

The reason for the grammar as I wrote it is for grammar compatibility
with IBM DB2 7.1

Except that DB2 uses ':' as the character to identify variables instead
of '@' but I can accept that difference ;)

For the things that I am doing, I would like to have same and/or similar
grammar between DB2 and MySQL.

(It means that I may not be using DB2 to it's full abilities, but that
doesn't concern me too much right now)

ANTONY T CURTIS
Thread
query engine and parserManish Chakrabarti6 Jun
  • query engine and parserMichael Widenius7 Jun
  • Re: query engine and parserSasha Pachev7 Jun
  • SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
    • SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius10 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementPaul Cadach11 Jun
    • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius11 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementCharlie Root11 Jun
    • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius11 Jun
      • MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementRussell E Glaue11 Jun
        • Re: MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis12 Jun
        • MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius12 Jun