MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Russell E Glaue Date:June 8 2001 3:41pm
Subject:Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd Try
View as plain text
My concern though is that the table has to be opened.
At one time, I may have 5 different web applications opening and locking 5
different tables.  I want the option of running commands for reports or
other with a minimal draw on resources to other running processes.
-RG

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Claes M
> Antony T Curtis skrev:
> >
> > Markus Grundmann wrote:
> >
> > Such a feature as this would have to be a "optional" rather than
> > default.
> >
> > I wouldn't want it to open 400+ tables in a database to find out how
> > many million rows there are...
>
> Ehrm. Not that big of an issue. From the docs at
>
> <http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Performance.html#Where_optimizations>
>
> "COUNT(*) on a single table without a WHERE is retrieved directly from
> the table information"
>
> As I understand it, this means that the speed of fetching the number of
> records from a table is pretty near constant. A one-record table would
> take the same time as a million-record table...
>
> Regards
> /Claes

Re: Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryMarkus Grundmann8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryAntony T Curtis8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryJeremy Zawodny8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryRussell E Glaue8 Jun
      • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryMichael Widenius11 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryClaes Månsson8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryRussell E Glaue8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryPaul DuBois8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryClaes Månsson8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TrySinisa Milivojevic9 Jun