MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:"Claes M Date:June 8 2001 2:53pm
Subject:Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd Try
View as plain text
Antony T Curtis skrev:

> Markus Grundmann wrote:
>
> Such a feature as this would have to be a "optional" rather than
> default.
>
> I wouldn't want it to open 400+ tables in a database to find out how
> many million rows there are...

Ehrm. Not that big of an issue. From the docs at
<http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Performance.html#Where_optimizations>

"COUNT(*) on a single table without a WHERE is retrieved directly from
the table information"

As I understand it, this means that the speed of fetching the number of
records from a table is pretty near constant. A one-record table would
take the same time as a million-record table...

Regards
/Claes
Thread
Re: Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryMarkus Grundmann8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryAntony T Curtis8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryJeremy Zawodny8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryRussell E Glaue8 Jun
      • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryMichael Widenius11 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryClaes Månsson8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryRussell E Glaue8 Jun
    • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryPaul DuBois8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TryClaes Månsson8 Jun
  • Re: mysqlshow.c - Modifications - 2nd TrySinisa Milivojevic9 Jun