MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stewart Smith Date:May 31 2006 4:44am
Subject:RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOS
View as plain text
On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 00:22 -0400, Green, Paul wrote:
> My intention is to correct all of the issues that prevent a stock MySQL
> source code distribution file from building on Stratus VOS.  I hope to
> have all of the Stratus VOS changes installed into the next major
> release(s) of VOS, which will be VOS Release 15.3 and 16.0.  These
> releases will appear in the next 6-9 months.  We are working on these
> two releases in parallel right now.  Customers will either need to wait
> for one of these releases, or they will need to apply the same local
> fixes that I have made.  If there is sufficient interest in MySQL from
> our customers, I will probably distribute a version of MySQL for VOS
> that already has the necessary workarounds in place.  That is, I'll do
> this if the MySQL license allows it.  I admit to not having read it
> closely enough to see if that will be ok with you.  I would certainly
> verify the licensing issues before uploading it to our anonymous ftp
> site.

Under the GPL, as long as you distribute the source to the person you're
sending the binary too, you're fine. IANAL though, can always check with
our community guys though - community@stripped

(of course, your changes should also come under GPL).

> * We don't implement Unix Domain Sockets, and don't have socketpair()
> and sys/un.h.  I will either implement these directly, or implement a
> version that maps them into loopback sockets. Not so trivial...

You should be able to build MySQL without UNIX domain sockets though,
since the Windows builds certainly don't have it. IIRC there's a #define
we check in the source... Should be able to just make sure it's not
defined when building MySQL. (you may have already done this).

> * We don't have msync or the MS_SYNC macro.  Something else I'll need to
> implement. Difficulty unclear.

Also check if your fsync does actually sync to disk (or define/not
define POSIX_SYNCHRONISED_IO - unix 99 iirc). InnoDB will care about
this (check for where they call fsync) if you want commit to mean
something about txn being on disk. this will save you tears later on
when somebody finds strange corruption.

--
Stewart Smith, Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Jumpstart your cluster:
http://www.mysql.com/consulting/packaged/cluster.html

Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSPaul Green24 May
  • Re: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSSergei Golubchik26 May
RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSPaul Green30 May
  • Re: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSSergei Golubchik30 May
  • RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSStewart Smith31 May
  • RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSLenz Grimmer31 Aug
RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSPaul Green1 Sep
  • RE: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOSLenz Grimmer1 Sep