MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:May 30 2006 2:12pm
Subject:Re: Patches to correct build issues on Stratus VOS
View as plain text
Hi!

Just a couple of comments.

On May 30, Green, Paul wrote:
> Sergei Golubchik [mailto:serg@stripped] wrote:
>
> * MySQL assumes that libm.a exists. Our linker doesn't use library files
> for the standard C/POSIX runtime routines. We don't have libm.a.  (We
> implement library files, we just don't use them for the standard
> routines, due to historical technical decisions).  I supplied an empty
> one to satisfy MySQL. Trivial fix.

our configure checks for libm.a
So it looks like MySQL should not assume that libm.a exists.
Where do we assume it ?

> * We don't have a sys/resource.h header.  I was able to supply an empty
> one. Trivial fix.

Same. configure checks for sys/resource.h header.
So it should be included only in #ifdef HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H
otherwise it's a bug.
(kind of stupid to test for a header and ignore the result of the test)

> * We don't have setregid or setreuid.  We have the other flavors...I
> haven't had a chance to research how to work around this issue yet.

To get an idea why we use them check
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=2631 and
http://mysql.bkbits.net:8080/mysql-4.1/cset@ style="color:#666">stripped

> * We don't have msync or the MS_SYNC macro.  Something else I'll need to
> implement. Difficulty unclear.

Though not a perfect solution - you may fake msync() with a dummy
function (or macro). Curently MySQL does not use it anyway.

> * We don't have chroot().  Doesn't appear that we really need it, so I
> just added our system to the list of other systems that don't implement
> it (in the patch I sent you).

in the patch you  will send, you mean - it was not in the first patch.
But better to check for chroot in configure and use #ifdef HAVE_CHROOT.
More future-proof.

> * We don't have regcomp/regexec/regfree or regex.h.  Somehow, we have
> ported a ton of open-source software without any of it using these
> functions. I'll go find a copy of it with an appropriate license and
> port it to our system. Pretty simple fix.

Ehm. Actually _we_ have regcomp and the gang. It's in the regex/
subdirectory of MySQL source tree.
Perhaps it's used only by MySQL sources, while libedit/readline want a
system regexp ? Should be easy to fix makefiles and link them with
bundled regexp.

Regards,
Sergei

--
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  MySQL AB, Senior Software Developer