List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:June 3 2005 5:01pm
Subject:Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storage
View as plain text

> I did discuss this with Sanja (the original implentor of views) briefly
> while fixing a nearly-related bug, and he agrees that it would be nice
> to be able to get the original query out. We'll look at making this
> available via something like INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I can't commit to
> when that might happen. The original query is stored in the .frm file
> for the view, so it is "just" a matter of exposing that.
>
> It would be interesting to know how other DBMS make this available.  (A
> quick look at some Google results show that Oracle exposes it via
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ALL_VIEWS, but I haven't consulted our standards
> gurus or taken a look at other databases.)

Oracle esposes this via the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ALL_VIEWS and
their system tables.

NexusDB does it via a blob column in #views

MS SQL Server holds it in SYSCOMMENTS

InterBase and Firebird in a blob in RDB$RELATIONS.VIEW_SOURCE

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies1 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageSanja Byelkin24 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageJim Winstead3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageJim Winstead3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies24 Jun