MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:June 3 2005 11:47am
Subject:Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storage
View as plain text
Hello Ingo,

> Am Freitag, den 03.06.2005, 11:06 +0200 schrieb Martijn Tonies:
> > Oh c'mon, this isn't a feature request, this is functionality failure!
>
> Oh sorry. Then I misunderstood you. I thought you were complainig about
> the ugly formatting.

Not the "ugly formatting" perse, but rather the fact that MySQL apparently
has no way of getting my original view definition (including comments) back.

> I also thought that SQL is freeform and does not
> rely on a certain amount of spacing and indentation. Hence, I thought
> that the output was valid SQL and correct information. You should be

Yes, it's valid SQL. It's also bloody annoying :-)

> able to get rid of the quotes with "SET SQL_QUOTE_SHOW_CREATE = 0".
>
> If this is wrong, then I agree that you should select a high severity
> when reporting the bug.
>
> BTW. Your suggestion to store the original view definition will only
> work until someone does an ALTER VIEW. Do you have another suggestion
> for how to handle the original string in this situation?

ALTER VIEW is already implemented (according to the documentation).

Store the original string in a BLOB field of a system table.  Anything
beyond
"AS". Store other properties in other fields.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies1 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageSanja Byelkin24 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageIngo Strüwing3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageJim Winstead3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageJim Winstead3 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 5: views and definition storageMartijn Tonies24 Jun