MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:GUI Tools« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dennis Gilmore Date:December 3 2009 7:06pm
Subject:Re: why not use a repo?
View as plain text
On Wednesday 02 December 2009 07:21:08 pm Alfredo Kojima wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:45 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 December 2009 01:49:01 pm Carl Karsten wrote:

> >> I am guessing the review includes looking at the license to make sure
> >> it is distributable?  If so, let me know how that goes.  If it is
> >> allowable, I'll put it in my PPA and submit it to Ubuntu for the
> >> Universe repo.
> >
> > thats part of it.  one thing that will make it harder is the
> > bundling of other
> > projects in the source tree. its a bad practice that utimately leads
> > unintended consequences.  Can someone explain to me why the tarball
> > has copies
> > of cppconn
>
> This is not included in most distributions, including Ubuntu.
> Specially in the version we need.
This is a bad reason to included it If its not in fedora then i need to add it
and now i need to spend extra time yanking out all the external bits. and
patching things to work with the system libraries.  bundling libraries violate
the packaging guidelines.

> >  ctemplate
>
> Ditto. When we started using it, no distro was shipping it.
Fedora has always shipped the needed version long before you decided to add it

> >  curl libsigc++
>
> These are not built in Linux, it's for the Windows build.
>
> >  python
>
> ?? This is not included in any form.
there is a python directory in the ext dir in the tarball i downloaded i did
not look to check what was in it  but it is there

> > scintilla
>
> There are modifications to this, esp. for the Mac port, for which we
> had to code support for Cocoa ourselves.
You are better to supply patches and be working with upstream to get them
included upstream.

> > silvercity  yassl
>
> Does any distro ship these?
A distro not shipping something is really not a valid reason to include it.  I
need to yank it all out and patch everything to work with system versions.

> If the package is to be included in some distribution, they're free to
> patch the configure file and
> simply use whatever they ship, of course. If it is really the case
> that they ship everything that's needed.

If we dont ship it it needs to be included.  Distros not shipping it really is
not a good reason to include it.
of them fedora has ctemplate.

> mysqldev@gui-srva-vm-ubu910i386:~$ apt-cache search yassl
> mysqldev@gui-srva-vm-ubu910i386:~$ apt-cache search silvercity
> mysqldev@gui-srva-vm-ubu910i386:~$ apt-cache search ctemplate
>
> > Dennis
>
> --
> Alfredo Kojima, Senior Software Developer
> MySQL Developer Tools
> Database Group, Sun Microsystems

why not use a repo?Carl Karsten2 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Mike Lischke2 Dec
    • Re: why not use a repo?Sebastian Mendel2 Dec
      • Re: why not use a repo?Mike Lischke2 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore2 Dec
    • Re: why not use a repo?Carl Karsten2 Dec
      • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore2 Dec
        • Re: why not use a repo?Alfredo Kojima3 Dec
          • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore3 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Alfredo Kojima3 Dec