MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:GUI Tools« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Lischke Date:December 2 2009 7:54am
Subject:Re: why not use a repo?
View as plain text
Carl,

>> Please get your copy from our Download
>> http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/
>
> That does not give you away to download the beta.

It seems, a few people might have trouble to select the "Upcoming Releases" tab on this
page. Since WB 5.2 is beta, it isn't put at the most prominent place (instead the current
stable release is).

> If you don't pay attention, you get
>
> mysql-workbench-oss-5.1.18a-1ubu904-amd64.deb
>
> "Error: A later version is already installed"

Yes, that's true. As with all installations and changes on a computer, if you don't pay
attention, you might mess it up.

> Will someone explain again why this isn't in a repo?  downloading
> binaries from an FTP mirror is so 1900's.  Not being able to download
> is so home grown.  can we blame Oracle?

Can you tell us what's so great about a repository. Actually, what *is* a repository in
this context? I would consider a server, which serves a collection of downloads being a
repository. And you might be surprised, but almost all protocols you use today are so
1900's, including HTTP, which transport your preferred Youtube video or news page to you.
Fortunately, you don't have to live with an FTP mirror, if you don't like it. We also have
quite a number of HTTP mirrors.

Mike
--
Mike Lischke, Senior Software Engineer
Database Group, Developer Tools

Thread
why not use a repo?Carl Karsten2 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Mike Lischke2 Dec
    • Re: why not use a repo?Sebastian Mendel2 Dec
      • Re: why not use a repo?Mike Lischke2 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore2 Dec
    • Re: why not use a repo?Carl Karsten2 Dec
      • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore2 Dec
        • Re: why not use a repo?Alfredo Kojima3 Dec
          • Re: why not use a repo?Dennis Gilmore3 Dec
  • Re: why not use a repo?Alfredo Kojima3 Dec