MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:May 1 2007 9:17pm
Subject:MySQL Connector/Net 5.1.0 Alpha has been released.
View as plain text
Hi,

MySQL Connector/Net 5.1.0 a new version of the all-managed .NET driver
for MySQL has been released.

************* IMPORTANT ********************
This is a big release and represents a change in how we package our
products.   Until now, we've shipped our core provider and the Visual
Studio integration bits as separate downloads.  This has become a bit of
a problem.  Often we would fix a bug that involved changing code both in
the VS package and in the core provider.  This provided a versioning
problem where users would need to upgrade both products to see the
benefit of the bug fix.  To solve this, we've decided to discontinue
Tools for Visual Studio as a separate product and have, instead,
integrated it into a new Connector/Net installer.  We hope this provides
a better "out of box" experience for our users.

All previous versions of Tools for Visual Studio should be uninstalled
prior to installing this product.

Version 5.1.0 works with all versions of MySQL including MySQL-4.1,
MySQL-5.0, MySQL-5.1 beta or the MySQL-6.0 Falcon "Preview".   Please be
aware though that this version is alpha quality software and should not
be used in production environments.

It is now available in source and binary form from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.1.html and mirror sites
(note that not all mirror sites may be up to date at this point of time
- if you can't find this version on some mirror, please try again later
or choose another download site.)

Functionality Changes or Enhancements
* Added Membership and Role provider contributed by Sean Wright (thanks!)
These providers allow MySQL to be used with the membership and role
services built in to ASP.Net 2.0.  Documentation for the new bits was
not finished at the time of packaging so we'll post an article to the
information sources listed below shortly after the release.

* Compact Framework 2.0 support now included.
Compact framework support is now included.  The installer now includes
an option to install a compact framework compatible assembly.  This
assembly is compatible with .NETCF 2.0.  We will look at providing a
.NET CF 1.1 compatible binary in a future release.  To use this
assembly, create a Smart Device project and include the assembly as a
reference.

* Rewrote stored procedure parsing code using a new SQL tokenizer.
This means that really nasty procedures including nested comments are
now supported.

* GetSchema will now report objects relative to the currently selected
database.
Previously, passing in a null value for the database restriction would
return all objects across all databases.  This version will instead
report only the objects that are located in your currently selected
database.

* Visual Studio integration is now shipped as an installable component
of Connector/Net.
Please see the note above for the justification.

* New compact framework sample provides basic NUnit support.
In order to test our provider, we needed a type of nunit test runner
that would work on the compact framework.  To this end, we've written
and included a new sample application that does this.  It's called
Tester and can be found under the Pocket PC samples directory.  Using it
is very easy.  Simply load up the project, build it, and deploy it to an
emulator or a real device.  We don't claim to be fully NUnit compatible;
just that it runs our test suite acceptably.

* Stored procedures now work with the SqlDataSource wizard or the
TableAdapter wizard.

Bugs fixed:
There are not bug fixes specific to this release, however this release
includes all bugfixes contained that has been committed to the 5.0.7
tree at the time this release was cut.