MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Arjen Lentz Date:April 7 2018 4:06am
Subject:Re: how to disable mysqld --skip-grant-tables &
View as plain text
Hi Michelangelo

----- On 6 Apr, 2018, at 12:02 PM, michelangelo bartolo michelangelo.bartolo@stripped
wrote:
> Hi, I'm Mike, I wanted to ask you, please, if there is the possibility to
> disable the functionality in the subject, i.e. (I do not want to allow to
> bypass the authentication procedures ), I do not want to give the possibility
> to reset the password for root and consequently allow subsequently db access
>
> I am using Mysql 5.0.41 community
>
> awaiting your reply I thank you and greeting you

If people don't have full shell access with root privileges, they won't be able to stop
mysqld and run it with the --skip-grant-tables option.

If they DO have full shell access, then they would be able to tweak this regardless.
Examples:
 - you could recompile mysqld not have this option, but:
 * user could upload and install their own mysqld, replacing yours.
 * user could download the /var/lib/mysql/mysql/user.MYD file and fix it up with another
mysqld on a local machine, then upload it.
 * user could create a new user.MYD file with anything they like, and upload it.

The point is that full shell access with root privileges allows you to do anything on the
machine.
If you don't want people to be able to do anything, then don't have them root and/or shell
access on the machine.

Regards,
Arjen.
Thread
how to disable mysqld --skip-grant-tables &michelangelo.bartolo6 Apr
  • Re: how to disable mysqld --skip-grant-tables &Arjen Lentz7 Apr
    • Re: how to disable mysqld --skip-grant-tables &michelangelo.bartolo7 Apr