List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas K. Fischer Date:September 4 2004 6:29pm
Subject:Re: Database Storage Capacity.
View as plain text
At 02:21 09/01/2004, Mikael Ronström wrote:
>We are in the works of making it possible to store tables on disk (using a
>page cache in memory). It will still be possible to have tables with ALL
>data in RAM.
>So the choice will be on the user on a table-by-table basis whether tables
>will be disk-based or RAM-based (actually NDB will even be able to handle mixed
>tables where the decision is made on attribute level). All indexes will
>still be RAM-based.

This would be a good thing for us to be able to give more serious
consideration to adoption of Cluster. As it stands, we'd have to either
adopt a hybrid solution (transaction tables in Cluster, others in InnoDB
and replicated across all the SQLheads) or spend LOTS of $$$ on enough
servers with enough RAM to hold are large DBs in memory.

I must say I have been fascinated with Cluster ever since the announcement
at the Orlando conference (especially as an alternative to Oracle RAC),
though this is to me one of the limitations hindering the adoption of
Cluster in shops with very large DBs with a high volume of write transactions.

I'm anxious to see the maturation of Cluster unfold.

Cheers,

Doug

Thread
Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
  • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
    • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström30 Aug
      • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity. (addendum)Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Clint Byrum31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.John David Duncan1 Sep
              • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda2 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Douglas K. Fischer4 Sep
      • New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug
        • Re: New TransportTomas Ulin31 Aug
          • Re: New TransportMikael Ronström31 Aug
            • Re: New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug