List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Faraz Khan Date:August 30 2004 7:50am
Subject:Re: Database Storage Capacity.
View as plain text
So is it possible at all to setup a terabyte database with Mysql at the
moment?

I basically need a DB with 6-10TB storage capacity and ease of growth.
I guess I can go with software raid and md devices / nfs but would a single
Mysql server be able to handle that database size?

Any help would be appreciated.

> Hi Oliver and Faraz,
>
> 2004-08-30 kl. 09.09 skrev Olivier Kaloudoff:
> >> Dear all,
> >
> > Hi Faraz,
> >
> >> The Mysql Cluster documentation refers a lot about high availability
> >> and
> >> security but one thing I am still confused about is storage
> >> expansion. Adding
> >> a storage node to the cluster DOES INDEED increase my storage
> >> capacity by
> >> some amount right?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > The most common setup is to have "n" nodes with a capacity of "c" Go.
> > If you want to use MySQL Cluster features (ie: High Availability and
> > Load Balancing), you'll have to have the whole database in RAM, ie:
> > each
> > node must have RAM = "c Go".
> >

> > The resulting capacity of the database does not depend on the number
> > of nodes, but only on the "c" parameter, the minimum space available
> > on each node for the database.
>
> Nope on cluster capacity, correct on RAM.
>
> If you set up a 16-node cluster with 2 replicas. This means you will
> create 8 node groups.
> Each of these 8 node groups will store 1/8-th of the database (12.5%).
> Thus with 16 nodes,
> each with DataMemory set to 4 GB you will have access 32 GB of memory
> for application
> storage. A part of this memory will be used for ordered indexes  some
> record overhead.
>
> The current version needs to load the entire database into memory. We
> are currently in the
> works with abilities to remove this constraint.
>
> >> So Basically if I have two systems with 10 36Gb RAID disks with
> >> mirroring I
> >> get 36*5 GB storage on each system. Will the database have 36*5*2
> >> storage
> >> capacity this way?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Depends on the number of replicas.
>
> NOTE: The following paragraphs contain free thinking and has nothing to
> do with current
> or future MySQL products:
> This is actually a rather interesting problem that I thought about a
> lot. With RAID you have
> replication inside the box. With MySQL Cluster you get replication
> between the boxes. This
> means that you will use up 4 disk replicas of the data on disk if you
> use both MySQL Cluster
> and RAID mirroring. So my thinking has been in the lines of other
> replications than replicating
> entire nodes but rather replicating in a RAID 5-fashion also the
> database objects. This does
> present some interesting design problems but should be solvable.
>
> Rgrds Mikael
>
> >> I am basically trying to build a 10Tb Storage solution for a telecom
> >> provider.
> >> I am trying to tell them that using a cluster may be a better option
> >> than
> [...]

Faraz Khan
Busines Development Manager
Enterprise Solutions
Inbox Business Technologies (Pvt.) Ltd.
111-551-551
faraz.khan@stripped
Thread
Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
  • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
    • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström30 Aug
      • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity. (addendum)Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Clint Byrum31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.John David Duncan1 Sep
              • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda2 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Douglas K. Fischer4 Sep
      • New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug
        • Re: New TransportTomas Ulin31 Aug
          • Re: New TransportMikael Ronström31 Aug
            • Re: New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug