List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olivier Kaloudoff Date:August 30 2004 7:09am
Subject:Re: Database Storage Capacity.
View as plain text
> Dear all,

Hi Faraz,

> The Mysql Cluster documentation refers a lot about high availability and
> security but one thing I am still confused about is storage expansion. Adding
> a storage node to the cluster DOES INDEED increase my storage capacity by
> some amount right?

No.

The most common setup is to have "n" nodes with a capacity of "c" Go.
If you want to use MySQL Cluster features (ie: High Availability and
Load Balancing), you'll have to have the whole database in RAM, ie: each
node must have RAM = "c Go".

The resulting capacity of the database does not depend on the number
of nodes, but only on the "c" parameter, the minimum space available
on each node for the database.

> So Basically if I have two systems with 10 36Gb RAID disks with mirroring I
> get 36*5 GB storage on each system. Will the database have 36*5*2 storage
> capacity this way?

Yes.

> I am basically trying to build a 10Tb Storage solution for a telecom provider.
> I am trying to tell them that using a cluster may be a better option than
> going for NAS/SAN.

I'm not able to give you an advice on the best setup for your need here,
but I'm sure someone on the list will do.

Best Regards,

Olivier Kaloudoff
CKR Solutions Open Source
http://www.ckr-solutions.com
Thread
Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
  • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
    • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström30 Aug
      • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity. (addendum)Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Clint Byrum31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.John David Duncan1 Sep
              • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda2 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Douglas K. Fischer4 Sep
      • New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug
        • Re: New TransportTomas Ulin31 Aug
          • Re: New TransportMikael Ronström31 Aug
            • Re: New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug