MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martino Piccinato Date:July 12 2005 7:34am
Subject:Re: can mysql use the shared-storage .
View as plain text
Stewart Smith wrote:

> MySQL
>Cluster lets you work out your disk bandwidth requirements per-node for
>the checkpoints. It is extremely unlikely that you're going to need high
>bandwidth for this, so you save a heap on storage.

could you please explain better this latter thing? I can't exactly
understand what you mean.

As for shared nothing/shared everythin approach it is certainly true
that shared nothing approach is better for hardware failures but it is
also true that for shared nothing:

1) adding nodes to the cluster means repartiotioning (redistributing)
datas on the nodes, how expensive (I mean CPU cylce cost...), difficult
and errore prone is this operation for mysql cluster?
2) CPU processing power is not used optimally as in shared mode: single
query operations are carried by different CPU based on data
partition/availability on the different storage the CPU is linked to and no

I also wonder whether for really bug storage needs buying a shared disk
array shared by some of the nodes could be cheaper than buying
additional nodes with dedicated storage. One could use one shared
storage for each n/x cluster nodes of n nodes cluster. This is clearly
just an ecnonomic (€) consideration as ths system wouldn't affect
performance at all.

Thread
can mysql use the shared-storage .huang mingyou12 Jul
  • Re: can mysql use the shared-storage .Stewart Smith12 Jul
    • Re: can mysql use the shared-storage .Martino Piccinato12 Jul
      • Re: can mysql use the shared-storage .Stewart Smith13 Jul