MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stewart Smith Date:July 12 2005 6:00am
Subject:Re: Large Table maintainance
View as plain text
On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 14:47 +0930, Adam Dixon wrote:
> I have a large table containing 12 varchar, 19 int fields. This table
> consitantly grows at around 7000 records per hour. With the current
> MyISAM solution on a single server - if we delete older rows from the
> table, it causes queries to this table (which are done very
> frequently) to slowdown considerably - There is probably a technical
> explaination to this;

MyISAM uses table locks. This could be a bottleneck for you. InnoDB uses
row level locking. Perhaps this is better suited to what you're doing.

> Currently we move the old data in an offline state to another table,
> then we optimize the remaining recent data, which takes along time.
> So basically using DELETE on the table ruins its speed, can anyone
> comment as to if NDBCLUSTER handles the deletion of rows better then
> MyISAM? So that we can move older data to a seperate system.

Yes, it would. Although I don't think you need to jump to cluster. Have
you tried InnoDB tables?

--
Stewart Smith, Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Jumpstart your cluster:
http://www.mysql.com/consulting/packaged/cluster.html

Large Table maintainanceAdam Dixon12 Jul
  • Re: Large Table maintainanceStewart Smith12 Jul
    • Re: Large Table maintainanceAdam Dixon12 Jul
      • Re: Large Table maintainanceMikael Ronström12 Jul
  • Re: Large Table maintainanceMikael Ronström12 Jul
    • RE: Large Table maintainanceJonathan Miller12 Jul