MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mikael Ronström Date:December 29 2004 2:48pm
Subject:Re: host names don't work in config.ini
View as plain text
Hi Lewis,

2004-12-28 kl. 22.15 skrev Lewis Bergman:

> After comparing Alex's config.ini and setup and mine they are both
> identical except he uses IP's and I was using host names. After
> changing mine to IP's both nodes connected.
>
> Can't seem to get the API's going yet but at least the nodes look
> right.
>
> This seems like a documentation glitch unless I am way off base with
> what i have tried.

Hostnames certainly work with MySQL Cluster. But using hostnames
introduces quite a few error sources since a proper
DNS lookup system must be set-up, sometimes /etc/hosts must be edited
and their might be security blocks ensuring that
communication between certain machines is not possible other than on
certain ports. I remember a problem 5 years ago
when at one site I needed to use hostnames without the full name (only
the name in the domain, e.g. mysql1) and in
another site I needed to use full names e.g. mysql1.domain.se.

Thus if there are problems with host names it seems like a good path to
use IP-addresses instead.

MySQL Cluster uses gethostbyname or a variant of it to translate name
so to debug hostname problems please check:
man gethostbyname

where particularly /etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts aer mentioned as
important and this manual page refer to the named service
which uses /etc/bind/named.conf* as configuration files.

Rgrds Mikael