MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Database Benchmarks« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charles A. Landemaine Date:March 28 2006 5:42pm
Subject:Chat application and performance
View as plain text
Hello,

I am designing a model for a call center 100% web-based. I don't know
whether using MySQL of other DB systems, and also I'd like to know, at
least to have a rough idea how my hardware will behave in front of a
number of simultaneous connections.

There will be a database dedicated to registering new messages for
attendants and customers on the call center. This database will
basically have a few rows (depending on the number of customers
connected), and it will have pretty much 2 columns: one for the
customer ID (session), and another column with a flag to tell if there
is a new message or not.

Each 2 second, each customer who has the chat window open will make a
query to this light-weight database to see if there are new messages.
Each attendant also does the same queries each 2 second.

I'd like to have a rough idea how many simultaneous people can use
this application on a server with an Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz + 1GB RAM
running FreeBSD.
If you have any other opinion, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Charles A. Landemaine.
Thread