List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 16 2002 10:47pm
Subject:Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?
View as plain text
At 22:37 +0000 8/16/02, Brian McDonald wrote:
>>From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
>>To: "Motivus Motivus" <motivus@stripped>
>>CC: win32@stripped
>>Subject: Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?
>>Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:34:28 -0500
>>
>>>Hi. Would someone please shed some light on the reasons why I
>>>would want to run MySQL server as a service in W2K (Pro SP1)?
>>>What's the difference between standalone vs service?
>>
>>Service:
>>Windows will start the server for you when you boot your machine and shut
>>it down for you when you shut down your machine.
>>
>>Standalone:
>>You have to do those things manually.
>>

>Well, that much I understand. What I don't really get is the
>/reason/ for each. Why would I want to make MySQL a service?

Because you don't want to have to start it yourself each time you
boot your machine.  What other reason do you need?

A reason *not* to do this is if you don't want MySQL running all the
time. In that case you might prefer to start it yourself only when
necessary.

If you're asking about the general philosophy of Windows services per se,
then this is probably the wrong list.

>  How would I have to be using MySQL to merit installing it as a
>service? That's what I don't get. Similar questions for making it
>standalone...
>
>Brian

Thread
Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Motivus Motivus17 Aug
  • Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Paul DuBois17 Aug
Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Brian McDonald17 Aug
  • Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Paul DuBois17 Aug
Re: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Brian McDonald17 Aug
RE: Running MySQL as a service in Windows 2000. Why?Rob Vieira19 Aug