List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 7 1999 10:30pm
Subject:Re: Win32 installation on another source drive
View as plain text

JJ> Hi!
> store
Joost-Jan> I tried to, but mysql crashes when I try to start it this way ...
>> If you can describe exactly what happens, we may be able to help you!

JJ> Well.. here it goes. I have got a MySQL server running (under NT)
JJ> on my C drive. I stop the service MySQL by entering "mysqld --remove".
JJ> Than I change dir to d:\mysql (where i would like mysql to run). I enter:
JJ> "d:\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --basedir=d:\mysql". Now my dos terminal hangs!

This is normal on NT.  You should now close the window and use the
mysql as normal.

JJ> I kill the mysqld with my task manager. Next, I tried to install the new
JJ> mysql (on my D drive) as a service through the command: "mysqld --install".
JJ> But when I look in the task manager, there is currently NO mysqld.exe ..:(
JJ> Can't get it to work....

Sorry, but you can't just start the shareware mysqld version as service on
another disk, because in this case you can't supply parameters to it
(The registered version solves this by reading the parameters from the
my.cnf file)

The following mail from the mail archive may however help you fix this: