List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 16 2001 2:20am
Subject:Re: Help us make MySQL even better! (SQL-92 specification)
View as plain text
At 4:10 PM -0400 6/15/01, Tim Endres wrote:
>I accidentally clipped off the beginning of the section that I posted,
>so here is the complete section.
>tim.

Thanks.

Okay, so it's nice and detailed, and pedantic to boot.
What do you conclude from it, in relationship to the
current discussion?  Looks like a lotta "implementation-
defined" in there.

> [...]
>          for an <exact numeric type> T is a value V representable in T such
>          that N is not closer to zero than the numerical value of V and such
>          that the absolute value of the difference between N and the numer-
>          ical value of V is less than the absolute value of the difference
>          between two successive numerical values representable in T.
>
>          An approximation obtained by rounding of a numerical value N for
>          an <exact numeric type> T is a value V representable in T such
>          that the absolute value of the difference between N and the nu-
>          merical value of V is not greater than half the absolute value
>          of the difference between two successive numerical values repre-
>          sentable in T. If there are more than one such values V, then it is
>          implementation-defined which one is taken.
>
>          All numerical values between the smallest and the largest value,
>          inclusive, representable in a given exact numeric type have an
>          approximation obtained by rounding or truncation for that type; it
>          is implementation-defined which other numerical values have such
>          approximations.
>
>          An approximation obtained by truncation or rounding of a numerical
>          value N for an <approximate numeric type> T is a value V repre-
>          sentable in T such that there is no numerical value representable
>          in T and distinct from that of V that lies between the numerical
>          value of V and N, inclusive.
>
>          If there are more than one such values V then it is implementation-
>          defined which one is taken. It is implementation-defined which
>          numerical values have approximations obtained by rounding or trun-
>          cation for a given approximate numeric type.
>
>          Whenever an exact or approximate numeric value is assigned to a
>          data item or parameter representing an approximate numeric value,
>          an approximation of its value is represented in the data type of
>          the target. The value is converted to have the precision of the
>          target.
>
>          Operations on numbers are performed according to the normal rules
>          of arithmetic, within implementation-defined limits, except as
>          provided for in Subclause 6.12, "<numeric value expression>".
>
>          4.4.2  Operations involving numbers
>
>          As well as the usual arithmetic operators, plus, minus, times,
>          divide, unary plus, and unary minus, there are the following func-
>          tions that return numbers:
>
>          -  <position expression> (see Subclause 4.2.2, "Operations involv-
>             ing character strings", and Subclause 4.3.2, "Operations involv-
>             ing bit strings") takes two strings as arguments and returns an
>             integer;
>
>          -  <length expression> (see Subclause 4.2.2, "Operations involving
>             character strings", and Subclause 4.3.2, "Operations involv-
>             ing bit strings") operates on a string argument and returns an
>             integer;
>
>          -  <extract expression> (see Subclause 4.5.3, "Operations involving
>             datetimes and intervals") operates on a datetime or interval

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Help us make MySQL even better!Matt Wagner13 Jun
  • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Peter Holm15 Jun
    • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Pete French15 Jun
      • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Cynic15 Jun
        • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Pete French15 Jun
          • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Tim Endres15 Jun
            • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Pete French15 Jun
              • Re: Help us make MySQL even better! (SQL-92 specification)Tim Endres15 Jun
                • Re: Help us make MySQL even better! (SQL-92 specification)Tim Endres15 Jun
                  • Exporting Access files to MySQLFrank J. Schmuck16 Jun
                    • RE: Exporting Access files to MySQLIsmael Touama16 Jun
                      • RE: Exporting Access files to MySQLFrank J. Schmuck16 Jun
                        • RE: Exporting Access files to MySQLIsmael Touama16 Jun
                        • Re: Exporting Access files to MySQLAnsgar Becker18 Jun
                  • Re: Help us make MySQL even better! (SQL-92 specification)Paul DuBois16 Jun
                    • Re: Help us make MySQL even better! (SQL-92 specification)Tim Endres16 Jun
      • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Peter Holm15 Jun
      • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Tim Endres15 Jun
        • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Pete French15 Jun
          • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Tim Endres15 Jun
    • Re: Help us make MySQL even better!Alan Sinclair15 Jun
RE: Help us make MySQL even better!sean.odonnell15 Jun
  • RE: Help us make MySQL even better!Paul DuBois16 Jun
RE: Help us make MySQL even better!sean.odonnell18 Jun