List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 7 2001 12:38pm
Subject:Re: AUTO_INCREMENT: non-breakable numeric suite
View as plain text
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:22:24PM +0200, Ismael Touama wrote:
> I don't understand the way to create an int field with AUTO_INCREMENT
> 'option' taht is always continue even if I delete some records.
> I don't want any hole in my suite.

Why not?  MySQL doesn't care.

In any case, if you want MySQL to use the lowest unused number in the
column (including any deleted entries anywhere in the sequence), you'll
have to handle that yourself.  That's not what AUTO_INCREMENT is for.

> I'm with version 3.23.38.
> My field is MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT.It' not an INDEX
> I' m little bit confuse with LAST_INSERT_ID() and the following instruction
> "DELETE FROM tbl_name WHERE 1>0".
> I think I could write a function by myself with "select count(*) from
> tbl_name..." but it may be not really optimized.
> What's the more easy and practice function to use?
>
> Thanks for tips.
> Ismaël.
Thread
AUTO_INCREMENT: non-breakable numeric suiteIsmael Touama7 Jun
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT: non-breakable numeric suitePaul DuBois7 Jun
    • RE: AUTO_INCREMENT: non-breakable numeric suiteIsmael Touama7 Jun