List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 17 1999 5:00pm
Subject:Re: Newbie install issue: can't change the password
View as plain text
Aaron Gillette wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This morning I downloaded the MySQL 3.1.29 for Win32. I installed it on my
> Windows 98 machine, which seemed to go fine. I started mysqld. The next step
> was to change the root password.
>
> I typed:
>  mysqladmin -u root password 'mypassword'
>
> The response was:
> C:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: unable to cahnge password; error: 'parse error
> near' SQL_OPTION password='59d9abe742b7104e'' at line 1'
>
> I've tried every variation I can think of, nothing works.
>
> I'm also having problems with the command:
>
> mysqladmin reload
>
> The Error:
> C:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: reload failed; error: 'Access denied for user: '
> @javascript-of-unknown-origin.netscape.com' <Using Password: NO>'
>
> These problems are undoubtedly related.
>
> I've scoured the docs & O'Reilly's book, but can't find the answer.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Aaron Gillette

Hi Aaron

You only have the shareware/trial version 3.21.29.
The above mysqladmin syntax is based on at least 3.22.12.

So you are out of luck here.
Get a licenced version, or manipulate the mysql.* priviledge tables with UPDATE, INSERT,
DELETE and then make an mysqladmin reload.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Newbie install issue: can't change the passwordAaron Gillette16 Sep
  • Re: Newbie install issue: can't change the passwordChristian Mack17 Sep
Re: Newbie install issue: can't change the passwordChristopher R. Jones17 Sep