List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 9 1999 3:28pm
Subject:Re: More questions
View as plain text
Doug Evans wrote:

> After fighting with the ODBC thing, I can now run a query from MS Access to
> my table in Mysql. I have approximately 250,000 records, and 12 fields. The
> records contain data about part numbers.
>
> If I query for a part number, it takes approx. 6 seconds to get an answer.
>
> 1. If this were on a Unix box, would the query take less time?
> 2. Using the windows version, is there a way to speed things up, such as
> indexing?
>
> Another item: In Access, one can set up a multiple field index, to eliminat
> duplications. Can that be done in Mysql?
>
> Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug

1. If its the same machine then you get only a slight performance improvement.
2. Yes INDEXes or KEYs are available in mysql for Win32, UNIX, Solaris, Linux...
Using INDEXes will speed up your query.
There are also multiple column INDEXes.
You can create up to 16 KEYs per table with each KEY up to 15 columns in it and up to
256Bytes per KEY.

To eliminate duplicates you have to use an UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY.

You obviously didn't RTFM ( Read The Full Manual :)

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Is there anyone hereDoug Evans25 Aug
  • Re: Is there anyone hereSteve Ruby25 Aug
    • RE: Is there anyone hereDoug Evans25 Aug
      • Re: Is there anyone herePhil Harris25 Aug
      • RE: Is there anyone hereSteve Ruby25 Aug
        • RE: Is there anyone hereDoug Evans25 Aug
        • RE: Is there anyone hereDoug Evans25 Aug
        • More questionsDoug Evans25 Aug
          • Re: More questionsChristian Mack9 Sep
Re: Is there anyone hereVladimir N. Goida25 Aug
RE: Is there anyone hereJohn Millaway25 Aug