List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 1 1999 8:57pm
Subject:Re: licensed version
View as plain text
At 3:41 PM -0400 9/1/99, Ray Akey wrote:
>I agree wholeheartdly, Stefan.  Only with win32 or Linux can one get away
>with this sort of sentiment.  When I release a shareware version of an
>application, the evaluation at least works completely and the API is
>flawless.  If is becomes known that part or all of the API is broken, I fix
>that ASAP and put up a new release for download.
>
>with regards to mySQL, I will not purchase ANY license until I am assured
>that at least a simple query will compile (which they do) and run without
>crashing or dying prematurely (and they do crach, currently, with the
>evaluation version, no matter if I let the lib create the MYSQL structure or
>if I allocate my own and pass it in).
>
>In any case, I'm sure Michael Widenius' doesn't share the sentiment of those
>who are bludgeoning us with, "the licensed version doesn't have those
>bugs..."  If he does then mySQL won't catch on in the win32 platform as fast
>as it should.  Most users/developers will write it off if it won't work
>correctly under evaluation.  Not all win32 users have *nix like myself and
>others do..

Pointing out that the licensed version doesn't have the shareware version's
bugs is "bludgeoning"?

That seems a fairly heavy-handed characterization.

Maybe it should be pointed out here that anyone who pays the $200
fee for the licenced version will find that TcX is quite willing to
refund your money if you find that version inadequate.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
    • Re: licensed versionSimson L. Garfinkel1 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionAaron Johnson1 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionRay Akey1 Sep
      • Re: licensed versionPaul DuBois2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionSimson L. Garfinkel2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionRay Akey2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionRay Akey2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionTonu Samuel2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionTonu Samuel2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionMike Albanese2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionSimson L. Garfinkel2 Sep
Re: licensed versionPeter WR2 Sep
  • Re: licensed versionRay Akey2 Sep
    • Re: licensed versionMichael Widenius2 Sep
RE: licensed versionJohn Millaway2 Sep
  • RE: licensed versionMichael Widenius2 Sep