List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:July 27 1999 6:47pm
Subject:Re: Testing Connection w/ Telnet
View as plain text
Duke Normandin wrote:

> I'm a newbie to php3/mysql. I'm using win95/Xitami/php3/mysql locally only.
> Works great! However, I'm wondering why when I exececute the following:
>
> c:\mysql\bin\telnet localhost 3306
>
> I get a telnet window, it connects to mysqld but with some garbled
> characters at the end of the version message, and when I hit ENTER, I loose
> the connection with the error message: Bad Handshake. Should I not be able
> to talk to mysqld via a telnet session, even locally?
>
> later.....duke

Hi Duke

You can't telnet directly into the mysql server :)
This is because telnet dosn't understand the mysql protocol.
(Of course YOU could type in the necessary bytes into telnet, but that's a mess.)

You can use the mysql clients for win32.
There is a commandline tool called "mysql" in C:\mysql\bin directory.

Start it and issue mysql SQL commands seperated by ';' and you get the results.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Testing Connection w/ TelnetDuke Normandin26 Jul
  • Re: Testing Connection w/ TelnetChristian Mack27 Jul