List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Armando Date:March 17 2006 10:23pm
Subject:Re: Please help
View as plain text
Off topic, but I have to comment because I've seen it far too often. The
answer is, WAY too many. Non-technical managers usually don't know or
care about technical aspects. You're right, they just want to hear that
"it's done", most especially when deployment of a product or solution is
expected to bring an ROI (return on investment) to the organization. Try
explaining to the non-technical manager that a half-million dollars
spent on a solution wouldn't produce an ROI in the current fiscal year
and watch them hit the roof. That's when they turn on the I.T. people
and blame them for it not happening. Sometimes anyways.

 From a project perspective, I find the largest problem is that the
"business" managers often go and make product selections too often
without consulting with the I.T. department. They define their product
requirements, send to the providers and when one comes along with the
right price and the claim that they can meet most of if not all the
requirements, they go ahead and sign the deal.

Then it's up to the I.T. folk to reinvent the wheel to make the product
work in their environment. It's a sad story, but I'm sure it happens
very often in the enterprise. Cheers.

Armando

Thread
Please helpMatt Carolan15 Mar