List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel da Veiga Date:December 9 2005 3:09pm
Subject:Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command line
View as plain text
On 12/9/05, Patrice Serrand <Patrice.Serrand@stripped> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mysql is running on Windows 98 SE.
>
> With previous versions of mysql I can start mysql from the command line with:
> C:\> C:Mysql\bin\mysqld
>
> Now with version 5.0.16 this command don't start mysql and I can't use "net start
> ..." with windows 98.
>
> The command C:\> C:Mysql\bin\mysqld --defaults-file="..." don't start mysql.

The new versions of MySQL install at

%PROGRAMFILES/MySQL/MySQL Server X/

Not at C:\MySQL

> All commands return : "[Error] Can't find messagefile 'C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
> Server 5.0\share\english\errmsg.sys'"

You're probably trying to run an old version that its searching for
libraries and trying to use the new ones (not very good).

> I checked this file : errmsg.sys exists in C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
> 5.0\share\english.
>
> The same thing occurs if I add the MySQL path in Autoexec.bat.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> NB: Here is my my.ini:

<snip a whole my.ini full of comments from an older version and with
no useful info>

> Patrice

Try running:

"C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5\bin\mysqld.exe"

from command line...

If that fails, backup your data from the old mysql and remove any
traces from mysql on your system, follow the upgrade guide, there are
issues between versions.

If you never used or has no useful data on your mysql, remove it and
follow the install guide at the Manual.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
Thread
I can't start mysql from the windows command linePatrice Serrand9 Dec
  • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command lineDaniel da Veiga9 Dec
  • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command linePatrice Serrand9 Dec
    • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command lineDaniel da Veiga9 Dec
  • Problems starting from the command line using 5.0.16Ken Resander11 Dec
  • Re: Problems starting from the command line using 5.0.16Richard AB11 Dec
RE: I can't start mysql from the windows command linejbonnett11 Dec
  • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command linePatrice Serrand12 Dec
    • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command lineDaniel da Veiga12 Dec
  • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command linePatrice Serrand12 Dec
Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command lineMarcelo Carnaval19 Dec
  • Re: I can't start mysql from the windows command linePatrice Serrand19 Dec