List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<jbonnett Date:October 5 2005 11:45pm
Subject:RE: backup
View as plain text
I backup a MySQL database like this.

I run a Windows batch file that contains

C:\cygwin\bin\bash expdump.sh

The file expdump.sh contains

/cygdrive/C/Program\ Files/MySQL/MySQL\ Server\ 5.0/bin/mysqldump.exe -a -h<host>
/cygdrive/C/Util/pkzip -a expdump$(/cygdrive/C/cygwin/bin/date +%G%m%d).zip pedump.sql
/cygdrive/C/cygwin/bin/rm pedump.sql

You will need to change the things in <> to match your settings.

I am actually running bash from cygwin just so I can create a file name with the date
embedded in it. I could not find a simple way to do that in Windows.

The important bit is running mysqldump.

-rpedump.sql <database>

Pkzip just makes the dump file much smaller so that I can keep several backups.

John B.