List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:June 29 2005 1:41pm
Subject:Re: Getting rid of bin files
View as plain text
Chris Robinson <crobinson@stripped> wrote on 06/29/2005
04:40:30 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a program that uses MySQL as a backend database.  I get a large
> amount of bin files in the MySQL data directory called
"servername-bin.x",
> where x is a number that increments.
>
> How do I stop these files being created?  They take up a LOT of room
(each
> one is about 1Gb).  I found out how to purge them, which I'm currently
> doing manually:
>
> mysql -u root -p XXXXXXX -e "PURGE MASTER LOGS TO 'servername-bin.10';"
>
> I don't want to have to keep doing this manually though, I'd rather they

> weren't created in the first place.  I'm running MySQL 4.0.17 on Windows

> 2000 server.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris.

As you have discovered, those BIN files are the binlogs used for
replication. If you are not replicating, you can disable binlogging by
changing your my.ini file. If you ARE replicating, then you need to
periodically RESET MASTER or PURGE MASTER LOGS to clear out the old logs
(as you are already doing) as those files are necessary for the proper
operation of replication.

Documentation here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/binary-log.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/reset.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/purge-master-logs.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
Getting rid of bin filesChris Robinson29 Jun
  • Re: Getting rid of bin filesSGreen29 Jun
RE: Getting rid of bin filesPaulo Urcid Pliego29 Jun
  • RE: Getting rid of bin filesChris Robinson30 Jun