List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graeme St.Clair Date:February 19 2005 5:12am
Subject:Re: Installing MYSql from CD
View as plain text
I have the very same book, but I didn't get in trouble (well, not much...)

Don't confuse your Windoze pswds with MySQL pswds - they have nothing to do
with each other.  MySQL comes wide open to malefactors, and one of the first
things you need to is close it up a bit.  I think you'll find that you can
log on by navigating (in a DOS window) to wherever you installed MySQL, most
likely something like C:\MySQL\bin.  Then type 'mysql -u root -p' and just
hit Enter at the prompt.  You should be in, and allowed to do most anything.

If that doesn't work, the main thing that gets a lot of people in trouble is
not installing MySQL server as a Windoze service.  RTFM!  It's a good manual
(and I am a severe critic).  Go to and pick the
"Developer Zone" tab.  Download the doc in whatever format turns you on and
READ.  Particularly the sections on configuring your system immediately
after installation.

Speaking personally, I have never bothered with mysqladmin.

Really not harassing you, HTH, rgds, G.