List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graeme St.Clair Date:February 19 2005 5:12am
Subject:Re: Installing MYSql from CD
View as plain text
I have the very same book, but I didn't get in trouble (well, not much...)
;-)

Don't confuse your Windoze pswds with MySQL pswds - they have nothing to do
with each other.  MySQL comes wide open to malefactors, and one of the first
things you need to is close it up a bit.  I think you'll find that you can
log on by navigating (in a DOS window) to wherever you installed MySQL, most
likely something like C:\MySQL\bin.  Then type 'mysql -u root -p' and just
hit Enter at the prompt.  You should be in, and allowed to do most anything.

If that doesn't work, the main thing that gets a lot of people in trouble is
not installing MySQL server as a Windoze service.  RTFM!  It's a good manual
(and I am a severe critic).  Go to http://www.mysql.com and pick the
"Developer Zone" tab.  Download the doc in whatever format turns you on and
READ.  Particularly the sections on configuring your system immediately
after installation.

Speaking personally, I have never bothered with mysqladmin.

Really not harassing you, HTH, rgds, G.