List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel da Veiga Date:February 18 2005 6:30pm
Subject:Re: mysqldump/mysqladmin
View as plain text
Greetings,

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:47:27 -0500, kc68@stripped <kc68@stripped> wrote:
> I still haven't been able to run mysqldump on XP, which we discussed
> (below).  The basic problem is that I can't get to c:\mysql\bin and maybe
> that's because MySql installs deep in directories, i.e. in c:\Documents

It doesn't matter where the installation is, you can check the "icon"
you have on your desktop to located where it is, sorry, but if you
can't find it, you won't be able to deal with MySQL properly for lack
of knowledge of the OS.

> and Settings\My Name\Mysql-4.1.9  I start mysql by clicking on a desktop
> icon which starts both the server and the client.  When I type quit, it

MySQL Server usually installs as a service in XP, that means when you
start your machine, you start MySQL, you don't need to command its
start, if you do, you should check the installation.

> exits everything, not just the client as happens on my Win98 machine,
> though I think the server keeps running here (XP).  I've actually
> uninstalled MySql; should I reinstall MySql at c:\ ?  Sorry, seems simple,
> but I can't get it to work.

Ok, lets go back to your problem, you MUST find the installation
directory, now, you're using XP, that means you could simply locate
the file "mysql.exe" using Start - Find - Files and Folders and you'll
have your installation directory. Another thing, if you build a .bat
file containing:

"<installation directory>/bin/mysqldump.exe" <user, pass and dump
syntax> > <filename>
"<installation directory>/bin/mysqladmin.exe" <user and password
syntax> shutdown

The only parts you have to change are the ones enclosed by <>, but not
the > between the syntax and the filename for the dump, because that
directs the output to that file. Include the quotes too.

If you can't follow this, I guess you should ask a experienced
computer operator or teacher for help. Not everything can be explained
by email and MySQL is a database server, not a simple thing to deal
with.

Best regards,

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
Re: mysqldump/mysqladminDaniel da Veiga9 Feb
Re: mysqldump/mysqladminDaniel da Veiga9 Feb
Re: mysqldump/mysqladminDaniel da Veiga18 Feb