List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 24 2000 1:20am
Subject:Re: Why a license for Windows ?
View as plain text
At 11:33 PM +0100 2000-01-23, Patrik Lundin wrote:
>  > The other eight have a license fee from USD 10 - USD20 or 30. If I bought
>>  all of Your eight applets, I probably spend more than the USD 200, which is
>>  the license fee for MySQL.
>
>I don't mind earning money, I do mind people that think Windows users
>should pay license fees just because they are Windows users.
>
>If they need to make money on this to cover costs then everyone
>shoudl pay for it, not just Windows users.

The MySQL developers don't use Windows for any of their regular work.
To develop a Windows version of MySQL costs them money.

That means:
- They'll develop MySQL under UNIX/Linux anyway, whether anyone else
   uses it or not.
- They wouldn't develop a version under MySQL normally, and to do so
   costs them money, and also time which would otherwise be spent on
   UNIX development.

In other words, there is a penalty associated with Windows development.
This is something that is not true for UNIX development.  The licensing
arrangements are entirely reasonable.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Slow inserts on Win32Sean Mitchell22 Jan
  • NOW() as default value failsStefan Vesterlund22 Jan
    • Re: NOW() as default value failsSinisa Milivojevic22 Jan
  • Re: Slow inserts on Win32Sinisa Milivojevic22 Jan
    • RE: Slow inserts on Win32Dennis Thrys√łe22 Jan
      • Just set up a Linux box running Apache..Graham Ogunleye23 Jan
  • Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Fredrick Bartlett23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Tim Endres23 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?PeterWR24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
    • RE: Why a license for Windows ?John W Pierce24 Jan
      • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Matthias Fichtner24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
      • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Mark A. Chalkley <chalkle@ibm.net>24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Slow inserts on Win32Michael Widenius2 Feb
RE: NOW() as default value failsStefan Vesterlund22 Jan
Re: Slow inserts on Win32sinisa22 Jan
RE: NOW() as default value failsPaul DuBois23 Jan
RE: Why a license for Windows ?Gerald R. Jensen24 Jan