List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 23 2000 8:15pm
Subject:Re: Why a license for Windows ?
View as plain text
>Well, the machine costs money wheter it runs Linux, Solaris or Windows
>and the cost will be paid for in just a few licenses anyway.

Will it?

Windows and the Windows development tools are not "the machine".
And those tools don't come with free unlimited upgrades.  You get
the privilege of paying for them over and over.

"Fair" might be an issue if Microsoft made their software available
on the same basis as, say, Linux development tool are available.
That's not the case.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Slow inserts on Win32Sean Mitchell22 Jan
  • NOW() as default value failsStefan Vesterlund22 Jan
    • Re: NOW() as default value failsSinisa Milivojevic22 Jan
  • Re: Slow inserts on Win32Sinisa Milivojevic22 Jan
    • RE: Slow inserts on Win32Dennis Thrys√łe22 Jan
      • Just set up a Linux box running Apache..Graham Ogunleye23 Jan
  • Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Fredrick Bartlett23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Tim Endres23 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin23 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?PeterWR24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
    • RE: Why a license for Windows ?John W Pierce24 Jan
      • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Matthias Fichtner24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
      • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Mark A. Chalkley <chalkle@ibm.net>24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Slow inserts on Win32Michael Widenius2 Feb
RE: NOW() as default value failsStefan Vesterlund22 Jan
Re: Slow inserts on Win32sinisa22 Jan
RE: NOW() as default value failsPaul DuBois23 Jan
RE: Why a license for Windows ?Gerald R. Jensen24 Jan