List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Carter Date:December 20 1999 9:56am
Subject:Re: Auto_increment - suggestions?
View as plain text
on 12/20/99 4:29 AM, Dennis Thrysoe - GeoGrafik A/S at dt@stripped
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought that I should ask all you experienced people, if you would happen
> to have any good ideas on this one:
>
> I need to create new unique IDs on the fly, but auto_increment won't cut it
> as I also need to know what the chosen id is. I need to know the new id
> before I insert the row, as the id is needed as part of the next many row
> and so forth.
>
> We are working on a general solution so that a system that is now based on
> Oracle can also be used with mySQL (or other rdbms).
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> -dennis

Go to my web site, http://www.pbc.ottawa.on.ca, and log in as guest. Select
any wizzard (dbwiz or scriptwiz), and go to the bottom of the page and
select view in browser.

Look on the restultant page for a routine called 'adnew'. There is the code
that you will need.

Thread
Auto_increment - suggestions?(Dennis Thrysoe - GeoGrafik A/S)20 Dec
  • Re: Auto_increment - suggestions?Peter Carter20 Dec
  • Re: Auto_increment - suggestions?Krzysztof Jedon20 Dec
  • Re: Auto_increment - suggestions?Darin Vanatta20 Dec
RE: backslash about MySQL++/Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (2)Joerg Geistmann2 May