List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 2 2003 8:07pm
Subject:Re: PLEASE UPDATE INSTALLER README FILE!!
View as plain text
At 15:32 -0500 2/1/03, rbw@stripped wrote:
>There needs to be some guidance provided in the installation
>readme with regard to how to pick which "size" of my.cnf file.

You don't have to use any of the example option files.

>The complete readme copied below, should completely define
>how to install a "default" set of reasonably safe config values,

The default is to not specify any options.  That is, the defaults
are used by default.  You don't have to install defaults.

>AND, the installation should not paint one into a corner if an
>install option needs to be changed later as one learns proper admin.

What does that mean? You're always free to change an option.  Can you
provide an example of what you mean by being painted into a corner?

>So, please add to the following, the information needed for a
>default, safe, dummy-proof but complete installation.  As it is now,
>one cant install MySQL and start using/learning it without immediately
>hitting a learning curve and research project to even know which
>my-SIZE.cnf should be used and how to change your mind later.

Whoooooooooaaaaaaaa.  You're making this a lot harder than necessary.
You don't *have* to specify any options if you don't want to, other
than basedir/datadir if you install somewhere other than C: (as indicated
in the snippet you quote below).

>- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
>
>"This is a release of MySQL 3.23.52 for Win32.
>
>NOTE: If you install MySQL in a folder other than
>C:\MYSQL or you intend to start MySQL on NT/Win2000
>as a service, you must create a file named C:\MY.CNF
>or \Windows\my.ini or \winnt\my.ini with the following
>information::
>
>[mysqld]
>basedir=E:/installation-path/
>datadir=E:/data-path/
>
>After your have installed MySQL, the installation
>directory  which contains the files named 'my-size.cnf'.
>You can use this as a starting point for your own
>C:\my.cnf file.
>
>If you have any problems, you can mail them to
>win32@stripped after you have consulted the
>MySQL manual and the MySQL mailing list archive
>(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html)
>
>On behalf of the MySQL AB gang,
>Michael Widenius"

Thread
PLEASE UPDATE INSTALLER README FILE!!rbw1 Feb
  • Re: PLEASE UPDATE INSTALLER README FILE!!Paul DuBois2 Feb