List:MySQL on Win32« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 16 2002 5:27am
Subject:Re: The Case for Using the Microsoft .NET Framework in the MySQL
Win32 Port
View as plain text
You know, this sounds like a commercial, or a press release written by
Microsoft.  I don't know that much about .NET, but it seems a little
weird to me that a description of benefits that remain to be delivered
should be phrased using terms like "proven".  Proven means demonstrated,
not alleged.

There's also the little matter the blurb below mentions security, which
is itself a problem: Whenever the word "security" comes up in relation
to Microsoft, it's usually accompanied by the word "breach".  It's
reasonable, therefore, to be a bit skeptical that .NET, a Microsoft
product, will improve security.

How does all this stuff below, which is phrased in very broad and sweeping
terms, apply *specifically* and *concretely* to MySQL?

At 21:15 -0600 11/15/02, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
>It seems to me that a certain misunderstanding exists about the role of
>the Microsoft .NET Framework in future coding and development on
>Microsoft platforms, and the benefits of utilizing the .NET Framework on
>Win32 platforms.  There isn't much I can say about the role of .NET in
>future development that hasn't already been said.  I can only hope you
>believe the people that say the .NET Framework is the future of Win32
>development (source: Microsoft; seems credible since they write the
>operating system).  However, I can provide you with this information
>about the advantages of .NET, and why the MySQL development team should
>utilize the Microsoft .NET Framework for future development of the MySQL
>Win32 port, not just the ODBC driver.
>
>REVIEW CRITERIA
>
>The MicrosoftR .NET Framework and Microsoft Visual StudioR .NET belong,
>in the broadest sense, in the software development category. The leading
>edge of the category, according to customers and industry analysts, is
>the distributed application development segment. The software
>development category contains all developer tools products, while the
>distributed application development segment includes only those tools
>aimed at server- and client-side application development. Microsoft
>believes the main contenders in this segment include the .NET Framework
>and Visual Studio .NET, versus the Java-based product offerings of IBM
>WebSphere and VisualAge, and Sun iPlanet Application Server and Forte.
>
>If you examine the needs of developers and enterprise organizations, you
>can create a list of criteria for evaluating how the .NET Framework and
>Visual Studio .NET enable the rapid development, simple integration, and
>improved operation of the next generation of XML Web services and
>applications. These include:
>
>Improved Time-to-Market Criteria
>* The ability to use any programming language. Give developers the
>ability to use any programming language. Allow applications written with
>different programming languages to integrate deeply with each other.
>Leverage current development skills to go forward without retraining.
>Customers have discovered the exorbitant cost of finding developers
>skilled in some specialized technologies. Prominent industry analysts
>recommend using existing skills whenever possible, and avoiding the high
>cost and high failure rate of relying on the technical skills in
>shortest supply.
>* Access to state-of-the-art development tools. Deliver well-designed
>development tools, such as integrated debugging and profiling.
>* Improved code design. Provide a component-based, plumbing-free design
>that enables developers to focus on writing business logic. Eliminate
>the need to generate IDL or registry code. Provide existing, well-tested
>controls that encapsulate common programmer tasks.
>* Support for loosely coupled and tightly coupled architectures.  To
> [...]

Thread
mysql++ API and Borland's C++ BuilderGus Almighty3 Apr
  • Re: mysql++ API and Borland's C++ BuilderYeoh HS4 Apr
  • Re: mysql++ API and Borland's C++ BuilderGus Almighty4 Apr
  • Re: The Case for Using the Microsoft .NET Framework in the MySQLWin32 PortPaul DuBois16 Nov
  • The Case Against Using the Microsoft .NET Framework in the MySQL Win32 PortRobert Raisch16 Nov
  • Re: The Case for Using the Microsoft .NET Framework in the MySQL Win32 PortDennis Salguero16 Nov