List:Denmark MySQL Users Group« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Esben Damgaard Date:February 3 2009 7:55am
Subject:Re: variable searching with FULLTEXT
View as plain text
Norman Bird skrev:
> I'm developing a search form for an online journal/diary where the user can
> search the data for any words or even Boolean format. I want what FULLTEXT
> provide, but fulltext requires a constant string. that appears to be only
> good for ad hoc queries from the command line.
>
> How do you guys handle user forms where the search data is dynamic?
>
> Interested in how evertone handles that situation. All I see available is
> using "LIKE"
> I.E.
>
> select * from journal where 'text' like '%dreams%'

You just printed your solution. Now what you need is to take this to a
PHP forum.. or I could just give you your answer:

$searchstring = "hi mom"; // Or $_POST[searchtext]..
$query = "SELECT * FROM journal WHERE text like '%$searchstring%'";

/E
Thread
variable searching with FULLTEXTNorman Bird3 Feb
  • Re: variable searching with FULLTEXTEsben Damgaard3 Feb
    • SV: variable searching with FULLTEXTAllan Jacobsen3 Feb
  • RE: variable searching with FULLTEXTHaktan Bulut3 Feb
    • Re: variable searching with FULLTEXTNorman Bird3 Feb