List:Denmark MySQL Users Group« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Norman Bird Date:February 3 2009 12:43am
Subject:variable searching with FULLTEXT
View as plain text
I'm developing a search form for an online journal/diary where the user can
search the data for any words or even Boolean format. I want what FULLTEXT
provide, but fulltext requires a constant string. that appears to be only
good for ad hoc queries from the command line.

How do you guys handle user forms where the search data is dynamic?

Interested in how evertone handles that situation. All I see available is
using "LIKE"
I.E.

select * from journal where 'text' like '%dreams%'

But is there a way to do:

select * from journal, match(text) against('dreams');

but find a way to input the users variable instead of the constant string
against('dreams')?

Like how does google and yahoo and the like handle their dynamic searches?

let me know what method you use. I'm using PHP BTW

thanks all

Norman

Thread
variable searching with FULLTEXTNorman Bird3 Feb
  • Re: variable searching with FULLTEXTEsben Damgaard3 Feb
    • SV: variable searching with FULLTEXTAllan Jacobsen3 Feb
  • RE: variable searching with FULLTEXTHaktan Bulut3 Feb
    • Re: variable searching with FULLTEXTNorman Bird3 Feb