List:Summer of Code« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:March 28 2008 10:05pm
Subject:Re: Another idea for SoC - RBAC system in MySql server
View as plain text
Hi!

On Mar 28, Sergey Kudriavtsev wrote:
> Hello, Sergei.
>
> > Don't forget to check SQL standard requirements, as we want to have
> > new features in a standard compatible way.
> As I have described in "Project details" part, I propose not to
> replace an existing access control system but to add new features,
> which won't break existing system and would be compatible with
> existing commands and even existing service tables' structure. So
> standard privileges management will be left unchanged and standards
> compatible,

You misunderstood. I didn't mean compatible with the current MySQL
privilege system.

SQL standard describes how roles should work, what SQL syntax should be
used to manage them, what should be the semantics of every statement,
and so on. We're interested in standard-compatible implementation of
RBAC, not "some RBAC".

> For now I'm just not sure if this project is worthy writing an
> official application...

Why not ? It's a good stuff to have, we'd gladly accept such a
contribution :)

But it's not a simple project.

Regards / Mit vielen Grüssen,
Sergei

--
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  Principal Software Developer/Server Architect