List:Summer of Code« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin Charles Date:May 24 2007 12:43pm
Subject:The Summer of Code is going to begin - some quick pointers
View as plain text
Hello Coders of Summer,

You are soon going to begin embarking on your Summer of Code projects. I
am very excited for all of you

Executive summary:

1. You need good reporting, do this via a blog
2. You need to host your code in a SCM, do this via code.google.com

Now, a word about keeping track of changes

We all like to see what you're doing. So, my advise is to get a blog -
wordpress.com, blogspot.com, livejournal.com and so forth, will host
your blog for free. Its also important that your blog gets fed to the
ever popular Planet MySQL - http://planetmysql.org/. This is useful for
reporting and believe me when I say this, will make your task to get
your second payment so much easier

Now onto code. Thats what you were all brought on board to do. Where do
you place this code, you're wondering? MySQL still uses the "ancient"
technology for source control management called BitKeeper. It is not
free, and you need a license. The best thing to do, is clearly to host
your project at code.google.com. You will be given access to a decent
SCM, and you can check in often (you'll want to do this - hard disk
problems strike even more often in the summer ;-) )

Now, if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to hit the
list, or contact me. My contact details are in my .signautre, and you're
welcome to even call, when you need me

	kind regards & happy coding this summer
--
Colin Charles, Community Relations Manager, APAC
MySQL AB, Melbourne, Australia, www.mysql.com

MySQL Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/
Thread
The Summer of Code is going to begin - some quick pointersColin Charles24 May