List:Summer of Code« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Giuseppe Maxia Date:March 17 2008 11:04pm
Subject:Re: An idea for SOC 2008
View as plain text
Hi,
Thanks for your interest in SoC.
Your intention is commendable, but I have a question.
Why writing a new in-memory engine, when you can get the same result now in
a few minutes with MyISAM , by setting the data directory on a RAM disk?
If you do that, you have a fully functional engine that can work with BLOB
and TEXT columns. Your only limitation is the amount of RAM in your box.
As for persistence, you can achieve that by replicating the database to a
more durable storage.

Another possibility is to use Brian Aker's memcached engine (check his blog
for more info).

Can you redefine your project, taking into account the above remarks?

Cheers

Giuseppe

--
Giuseppe Maxia, Community Team Leader